My Laptop's Memory (RAM) and Drive (HDD) for Android Studio

Are you also having problem on your low-end laptop? Do you have a low Ram with 4GB? Also you have a low-end Drive HDD? What can you do to improve your laptop performance? Do you wish to know more having low-end device?

Well, we all know that we need to upgrade our gadgets. But for me, being as thrifty, I will only invest on the things that I know what I need.

My laptop is already good when doing HTML or web developing. I can just simply start coding in a Notepad++ text editor. Or go directly in some Wordpress or Blogger online blogging platforms.

If you are still using Acer E14, and plan install Android Studio, well here are my experiences as of 3 weeks.

But before that, I would like to say something!

Hi guys! Welcome to my blog. I was previously only work on developing websites and stopped on doing it since I don't have any project for the past two years. The last project that I made was not that successful.

I didn't even to bother learn more about it anymore since I faced the most difficult competitors. I decided to stop because the knowledge that I have currently is way far from them.

In my level right now, I'm really sure that I cannot. Knowing your capacity is way more important that pushing too hard.

There is no reason for me to keep on it.

So what I did for these past few years since my previous employment?

Nothing! I just the care of the kids and have fun learning musics. Playing bass guitar and more. I didn't even earn money, absolutely no income at all.

But what happen, is that I look at my laptop and suddenly flashback to me, of all the amazing experiences that I made using this laptop.

I can remember how I was so eager to build something and make a profit on it.

While looking at my Acer E 14, I suddenly realized that it is not good for simply forget something that is already memorable to me.

So I decided to take a look and start it.

And damm*t it was already so dusty and performance so very slow.

Then I decided to open and clean everything!

Take a look at the picture I take.

Cleaning Acer E14

So previously, I wasn't really that techy type person. I just this creating HTML, text coding, blog posting and do some bunch of SEO stuffs. I was a former member a SEO team where I was the big deal. I also have a friend, who I always discuss about optimization of what are the best factors.

But it was all ended. I don't do SEO anymore, I don't study new things about it. I don't visit SEOland or go to forums that I was in.

I started doing nothing about it.

Totally forget it.

Now what's new?


I'm currently learning Java coding due to suddenly I jump to learn to develop mobile applications.

It interest me since I had nothing to do at all.

So I decided to give it a try.

Goal is to every day learn new in Java programming language. I am totally a newbie and didn't even know anything about this if/else what so ever function.

I'm not even good in JavaScript. All that I know before what SEO, nothing more, nothing less.

I installed Android Studio and started coding.

Looking some references in order to create my first ever application. At the start everything was really awesome. I was able to build one by just simply putting a site inside an Android App.

It is what they call WebView. A webview is just simply running a website url in the android browser with totally in your control.

My progress actually good but as time goes on, I started to go deep now.

While learning Java codes and other stuffs regarding with Android app development. My laptop seems laggy specially when I open Android Studio.

Download Android Studio

Google provides Android Studio for the Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux platforms.

You can download Android Studio from the Android Studio homepage, where you'll also find the traditional SDKs with Android Studio's command-line tools. But before downloading Android Studio, please make sure your device meets the following requirements:

Windows requirements:
Microsoft Windows 7/8/10 (32-bit or 64-bit)
3 GB RAM minimum, 8 GB RAM recommended (plus 1 GB for the Android Emulator)
2 GB of available disk space minimum, 4 GB recommended (500 MB for IDE plus 1.5 GB for Android SDK and emulator system image)
1280 x 800 minimum screen resolution

Well, I found that my Acer E14 is capable for this to run minimum. I have CPU i3, 4 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD for hard drive.

Yes, doing the app developing is fun. I didn't even know that coding is something like talking and advice someone to do this if this, then that!

But one major problem that I face as of now, is that my laptop is really slow if I run Android Studio and Emulator at the same time.

I also found out that Android Studio emulator is huge. It is heave. When I check my Task Manager, I think my laptop will explode or something. CPU, Memory and Disk usage are hitting 100%.

I just recently formatted my laptop. Installed Windows 10 and fixed what ever issue 100% usage before. (this is a known case of W10).

I even talk to my friend (he is good in hardware stuffs). He advised me to install HD Sentinel. What it will do is a disk health check whether your unit already has some problem.

Sounds good, but I find other way on how to check Disk status without installing any 3rd party software. I can check using other basic steps but this HD Sentinel is really cool I can tell.

HD Sentinel in Laptop

Hard Disk Sentinel (HDSentinel) is a multi-OS SSD and HDD monitoring and analysis software. Its goal is to find, test, diagnose and repair hard disk drive problems, report and display SSD and HDD health, performance degradations and failures.

Then after that, I have the idea to check also the Memory and I found this CPU-Z.

CPU-Z is a freeware system profiling and monitoring application for Microsoft Windows and Android that detects the central processing unit, RAM, motherboard chip-set, and other hardware features of a modern personal computer or Android device.

CPU-Z in Laptop


So how did I handle this and somehow able to continue working with App development process using Android Studio?


  • Turn off/disable all unwanted Plugins. This will help you to load Android Studio with less stress. Since you don't need them as of now, you might just want to turn off all of them and enable it back once you gonna need them again.
  • Install 3rd-party Android emulator. I used MEmu and Genymotion. Actually, this is more better thing to do rather than using the built-in emulator in Android Studio. Since they are more efficient when it comes to developing their platforms.

Tips: Gradle is really slow once you're starting an app.

  • Close other applications specially browsers that you don't use. 
  • Use less browser will be better.
  • Before you run the emulator, make sure to minimize Android Studio window.
This is what currently that I'm on with. Other seems are still working fine for me. If you have things in mind, I appreciated it, please do leave some comments below. Cheers!


EmoticonEmoticon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...